22 Haziran 2009 Pazartesi

Mordehay Vanunu: "I Revealed Israel's Nuclear Secrets to Stop a New Genocide"


Mordehay Vanunu, who leaked Israel's nuclear program to the press almost two decades ago, spoke to the Turkish media for the first time. "I wanted to stop a new genocide by drawing attention to Israel's nuclear power. I will never regret this." Vanunu spoke with Zaman about his goal, what he had been through in prison, Israel's 'psychological torture' and how he was arrested. "I would particularly like to state that everything I did was not only for the Israeli people, but also for the all people in Middle East. If any country does this, all the people in the region will fight. My only purpose was to hinder that," Vanunu explained about his decision to blow the whistle on Israel's nuclear weapons. Vanunu underlined the fact that the best way to secure peace in the region was to force Israel to solve Palestine issue. He said that if peace was provided in the region then there would be no need for nuclear weapons. He believes that as long as Palestinians do not find real peace, no progress will be recorded in the Middle East.
Vanunu, who was banned from traveling abroad after he was released from prison, disclosed that he had to endure great pressure during the years he spent inside. He said he was not subjected to physical torture, but psychological torture. About his arrest, Vanunu said that many intelligence agencies, not just the MOSSAD, played a role in his capture. He claims that Cindy, who had a key role in his arrest, was an American agent. He added, "The French captured me. British and Italians helped them. My capture had been MOSSAD's international conspiracy." Evaluating the Israeli Court's verdict that forbids him from traveling abroad, Vanunu explained that he was imprisoned in Israel now. "My traveling right is limited in Israel. My freedom to speak and travel has been banned. I cannot say anything more."
Vanunu then talked about the mistreatment he suffered during his 18 years in prison. "They mistreated me badly, but not physically. They did not beat and torture. They used psychological techniques like brainwashing and breaking my will. They tried to make me mad and demoralize me. They tried to make me feel regret for what I had done." Vanunu, however, feels no regret for what he did. "I believe that I did the right thing. I wanted to save people in the region, including the Israeli people, from a big tragedy. Despite all the pains I suffered, the Israeli government failed to make me feel regret for what I had done."
Mordehay Vanunu announced on April 21, when he was released, that he was mistreated because he was a Christian.


Ali Çimen, Fatih Şeyhanoğlu, İstanbul
01 August 2004, Sunday


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder